Friday, February 17, 2012

Two different ideas

So Robert and I had a discussion about our hypothetical wedding (no real marriage talk yet but it's progress right?) and I am slightly alarmed at how different we want things. See for my wedding I have always wanted the reception to be bold and colorful with flowers and candles and just fantastically me. Robert wants beige linens, one flower/feather in a white vase, and just minimal boldness. That's just the reception. The ceremony thankfully we can agree we want a beach wedding. Unfortunately he wants just our parents, siblings, and a couple other people...which would be ideal except that would piss quite a few people I care about off.

I know it's our wedding and all, but I kind of have always pictured my cousins (all 9 of them) and my various uncles and aunts to be there. Don't forget my grandparents either. We are a close bunch. Imperfect but close. To not have them at the ceremony would be....catastrophic to say the least. And if they end up being okay with just going to the reception and it is....well only what he wants? They are definitely going to speak up. My mom and I discussed what he and I had talked about and all she could say was "What's wrong with him?"

I just worry that if we do actually get engaged that this wedding will just be his idea. I love him, but he wasn't really willing to compromise on things...he even was trying to say what I should do for bridesmaids (as far as bouquets go)!! The STRICTLY bride section and he was tearing down my ideas. What the hell? I think he could tell I was not happy with how that discussion went. We only agreed on a live band over a dj and I really could care less what I eat that day (he said steak, baked potato, and salad), and we agreed the cutlery and dishes had to be nice.

What is a girl to do when the guy wants the opposite of what she wants? I am not opposed to him being involved, but what I don't like is his not being really all too open to my input. Compromise is supposed to go two ways, and be equal. Hopefully his need to control this isn't reflective of how he really is because up until now I didn't really think he was the controlling type.

*sigh* who knew that simple discussion would open a can of worms?

No comments:

Post a Comment